Do you neglect your furnace all year long and then expect it to work when chilly air moves in? You’re not alone. When our focus is on getting through summer’s heat we tend to overlook our heating systems. But before you’re left in the cold this winter with a malfunctioning furnace, call Air Now to schedule repairs, maintenance and tune-ups on your unit. If your system does unexpectedly break down, don’t worry. We offer 24-hour services to the Sarasota, FL area.
Is it time to replace your system? Learn about our furnace installation services.
Tips for Keeping Your Furnace Maintained
When the temperatures drop and you need to warm your home, you want to know that the furnace will work when you turn it on. To keep it functioning properly, it’s important to keep it well maintained all year. Follow these tips to maintain your unit:
- Schedule a yearly inspection before winter. This will allow the contractor to identify and repair any issues before the cold weather hits.
- Replace the furnace filters regularly, ideally every three months. This removes debris like dust, pet dander and other buildup from your system.
- Install a carbon monoxide monitor.
- Examine the furnace ducts to make sure they are properly sealed and don’t leak hot air.
- Check the blower to make sure it is functioning properly.
- Inspect the inside of the unit to examine the components and look for problems.
- Clean the burners with fresh water to remove dust and debris.
- Clean the sensor and pilot with a wire brush and emery to ensure that these devices operate effectively.
- Prevent overheating by checking the “high limit” on your unit.
Ways to Make Your Furnace More Energy Efficient
Keeping your home warm in the winter months can take a toll on your utility bills. Fortunately, there are ways to make your furnace more energy-efficient:
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Ensure your air ducts are working properly.
- Make sure your property is well insulated.
- Schedule regular maintenance visits.
- Change the filter regularly.
- Let sunlight in to help warm your home.
When your air handler malfunctions, don’t delay before getting it repaired. Contact us about our air handler services.
Signs that Indicate Your Furnace Needs Repairs
While it’s possible that one day your furnace may just suddenly stop working without warning, in most cases there will be signs that your unit needs repairs. Some symptoms to watch for include:
- Short cycling: This occurs when the system runs for less than three minutes before shutting off. This can indicate a malfunctioning heat exchanger or thermostat.
- Irregular flames: If the flames are uneven or lean toward the back of the furnace it can indicate dirty burners, or a crack in the heat exchanger.
- Unusual sounds: Loud or odd sounds coming from the system can signal issues that need to be inspected by a professional.
- Cracked heat exchanger: This can pose a serious risk to your family, as a cracked exchanger can cause a carbon monoxide leak. If your family suffers from frequent headaches or flu-like symptoms you should evacuate the property immediately.