If your evaporator coil malfunctions, it could prevent your AC system from keeping your home comfortable or cause you to temporarily stop using the unit. That’s why it’s important to seek professional services as soon as you experience an issue. Call Air Now! Servicing HVAC units since 1946, we have the experience and expertise to resolve your issues. Contact us today to book an appointment in the Sarasota, FL area.
When your air conditioner unit leaks, call a professional to inspect it. We offer AC refrigerant leak services.
Benefits of Prompt Evaporator Coil Services
In almost all cases, it’s beneficial to have a malfunctioning appliance or system repaired as soon as possible. This is also true for evaporator coils. When your component needs to be repaired or replaced, having services performed promptly can be advantageous through:
- Savings: Early detection can be the difference between repair and replacement. If a component is still under warranty, catching problems quickly is important. Depending on the issue, contractors can determine if the problem is minor and can be repaired, or if it’s more cost-effective to replace it and install a new one.
- Comfort: Having the unit serviced quickly can ensure the air conditioner is allowed to run without any interruptions, keeping your home at a comfortable temperature.
- Energy reduction: Having the system repaired ASAP can result in energy savings. If the AC unit runs with a malfunctioning coil it can use more energy in an attempt to help your home reach a comfortable temperature.
Common Evaporator Coil Issues
When an evaporator coil malfunctions, it can be due to these common issues:
- Refrigerant leaks: If you notice a leak near your AC unit you need a professional to inspect it. A trained technician can repair the leak, test the repair and charge the system with the recommended amount of coolant.
- Foul odors: If you notice a foul smell throughout your home, it can be caused by bacteria and mold buildup on the fins of the evaporator coil. When air is cooled, it attracts water vapor and the vapor condenses and drips onto the coil. While typically evaporation removes the moisture before any harm occurs, if the moisture remains too long, foul-smelling bacteria and mold will form.
- Frozen coils: Because these components are around 32° F, or freezing point, water that remains on the coils for too long will freeze, and the blades will begin to coat with ice. Frost on these components can cause serious performance problems with the air conditioning unit.
Your air handler plays an important role in your HVAC system. Learn about our air handler services to keep your unit functioning properly.
Ways to Prevent Evaporator Coil Problems
A malfunctioning evaporator coil can cause your air conditioner to stop working, leaving your home at an uncomfortable temperature. To prevent this from happening - especially during the hottest time of the year -- use these tips to maintain your coil:
- Keep the coils clean and dry.
- Remove any debris that comes into contact with the unit.
- Have the AC unit serviced each year, prior to summer.
- Check for clogs or leaks in your air ducts.
- Inspect the coils for any issues before they become larger problems.
- Clean or change the filters regularly.
- Remove any blocks in the filters. These can cause the filter to be out of position, which can interfere with the blower assembly. This can cause the fan to jam and potentially overheat, which could start a fire.